Sunday, February 15, 2009

Sharing some love

Friday I was most productive and made these two colourful Platypus from the pattern by Kate Henderson of Two Little Banshees published in the January 2009 Australian Homespun. They will be going to find new homes thanks to the Toy Society who is organising distribution to children affected by the Victorian Bushfires. I am hoping that they will brighten the lives of some little people. They were a lot of fun to make and very simple. A fantastic project from my favorite magazine. Yesterday I was out early to make my Valentines day drop for the Toy Society, I left Betsy bear in the Laneway off Pier st around 9 am hoping she would not have to wait too long to be claimed. There were already some poeple out getting their newspapers but I was able to leave her without being spotted. I had decided on this location as there are painted murals of local history and personalities on either side of the laneway, part of which is shown in the right half of the picture below.
Then I headed over to Brunswick to spend a lovely day with a group of enthusiastic sewers making fabric bags for young people affected by the recent bushfires here in Victoria. I was happy to be out doing something practical and sharing with like minded people. Thanks to Nikki for co-ordinating this sewing bee. I made several bags, well I should say I sewed several bags as there was a production line happening. These are some of my favourites, though I did make a number of bags that were in more boy colours which I liked as well I just didn't get a photo before they were collected. These bags will be used for the rainbow comfort packs being organised by Monica here.
I hope your weekend is a good one and you are sharing some love with those around you.
Happy Crafting

8 comments:

Lurline said...

Oh, I just love your platypus! Have just started recently collecting the Homespun mag - gorgeous isn't it! I did buy the first issue a long time ago and then a few others since - must make a habit of it! I hope you have some platypus for yourself - what Issue is it, please, I may try to get it!
Hugs - Lurline♥

Nikki said...

Thanks SO MUCH for coming to the sewing bee, and for all your work. SOrry I snatched your bags away.... which ones were they - I can photograph them and email the pics to you.

Unknown said...

Those look fabulous !
clares craftroom

French Knots said...

Cute platypus, sure to raise a smile on a ittle face.

MissyMack said...

Oh I love the platypus! :D I saw them in Homespun too, and just lvoed them. I reckon they are sure to brighten up someones day!

Sara said...

I love the platypus - they are too cute!
Thanks for commenting on my blog. I am happy to sew up some blocks for the Bushfire quilts. I only wish I could do more. It's such a terrible situation.

Kellie said...

Your platypus dolls are adorable! I'm certain they will bring lots of happiness! The bags are nice as well...it's so nice to be able to use your sewing skills for the benefit of others!

Kate said...

love them - I just stumbled upon your blog and was very excited to see the platypii!